10.26.2011

GO: Peter Sekaer's Signs Of Life Exhibit at ICP

This is a perfect case of serendipity. 
I love when this happens. 

When I was in Berlin, I stopped by the Andreas Murkudis boutique. I drooled over the amazing Dries Van Noten and discovered designers I didn't know, like the knock-out ROBERTA FURLANETTO. (If you're in the city, you must go by there---his stores are such fun, more "intimate museums rather than retail spaces.") But that's not yet getting to the serendipitous part. 

So I combed the entire store, got lost in the clothes, the accessories, and (of course) the selection of art books. One book in particular lodged in my memory bank: SIGNS OF LIFE by the Danish-American photographer Peter Sekaer. I was smitten. The man was a master sign painter who found photography and honed his craft with Walker Evans and Berenice Abbott in the thirties and forties. Gorgeous works. And I loved this quote so much I snapped it:

"If you like the block you live in spend some time looking it over and thinking about the houses of it, the people, the trees, the traffic and in the alley cars, the way the sun falls across the street, or the rain runs in the gutter---you never need to look for subject matter."--Peter Sekaer


Now here's the magical twist. . . While just now googling his work, I randomly discovered that the International Center of Photography (ICP) is currently showing an exhibit of Sekaer's work. My thread of inspiration from the Murkudis shop in Berlin has landed at my doorstep in NYC. The SIGNS OF LIFE EXHIBIT is up until January 2012. I can't wait to see those photos in person. How's that for wonderful serendipity?!

Peter Sekaer, Phrenologist’s Window, New Orleans, 1936. © Peter Sekaer Estate. High Museum of Art, Atlanta, GA, purchased with funds from Robert Yellowlees

No comments: